Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Life at the beach :: Tues. 7/17/07

Well, there is no lack of work to be done at the park. It is BUSY! No one has to fight over stuff to do anymore that's for sure. We had it good in April and part of May. Now it's work, work, work! That's not a bad thing at all, except it's amazing how the tourists can be so scanky. The pier is always filthy and no sooner do you get it cleaned up, people are throwing trash down. It's the same in the campground and generally speaking, in the entire park.

I don't really do trash pickup or outdoor stuff anymore. I was bitten by a deer tick and ended up with the beginning stages of Lyme Disease. Luckily I caught it early and got on the antibiotics immediately. I go for my blood test next week to make sure I'm cured. I now help with the Youth Group camping. I do check ins and check outs and I do light maintenance on the dorms and group camping facilities. (The park lost their youth group camp host, so I stepped in.) I love it and it keeps me busy! I continue to design advertisements and fliers and I also work in the camp registration booth one night a week.

My Jeep....my, my, my! It's been a nightmare! The Jeep has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. I haven't gotten to enjoy it at all since I bought it.

The folks I bought it from told me all it really needed was a carburetor to get it running right, but that wasn't the case at all. I had to replace the entire carbbed fuel system with a fuel injected system to keep it within emissions...very expensive! I could have done a cheaper repair, but it would not have passed the sniff test and if I ever wanted to sell the Jeep, I would have had a hard time doing so. The 4 wheel drive also didn't engage properly so that was another issue of importance. Then there were the minor issues such as a new muffler, small oil leak, the need for a new radiator and a couple of very minor things...and those were things I knew about and had budgeted for, but the fuel injection was totally unexpected. So far, I have close to $6,000.00 into the Jeep.

My mechanic called me yesterday and told me he hopes to have the Jeep fixed for me this week as he'd like to move it out of his shop...he also said he's sure I'd like to enjoy it instead of stopping by to visit it once a week. He's right! I've taken a part time job as a waitress to help pay for the Jeep repairs and pay down the rest of my medical expenses from my tumor removal and the Lyme Disease. I'm not complaining...it's just that I'd really like to have a little fun in my Jeep! To be honest, God has blessed me with a fantastic mechanic and the Jeep runs very well. My mechanic told me that when he's through with it, it'll be practically brand new! Shoot, almost every part on it has been replaced!!!!

No comments: