Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A new home in a one horse town!

Just a few more days and it's September. Time flies...doesn't it? Especially when you're having fun!

Well, I've moved from Casini Ranch. I gave notice and headed down the road about 3/4 mile right into the heart of "downtown" Duncans Mills which consists of an old time general store, a post office, a bakery, a restaurant, a few antique stores and shops and a small railroad depot and museum...maybe 15 buildings at most. This is the proverbial "one horse town" and I LOVE it here! It's so magical I didn't want to leave...so I looked around for a new place to park the coach and ended up as a work camper at a private membership resort on the Russian River. It was sad to leave Casini Ranch, but actually...I didn't! Because I'm so close by, they've asked me to stay on to continue as their webmaster and to keep up with the programming on their TV station. My hours have been cut back quite a bit, but at least I still have my position there. So now I'm working at two campgrounds in town...how about that?

I'm settling in at my new "home" the Duncans Mills Camping Club and it's very nice here. They have beautifully landscaped camp sites, which are quiet and secluded. The membership is just under 400 and the campground is usually at 10 - 15% capacity at any given time, except during holiday weekends, of course. My site is surrounded by grape and blackberry vines that form tall hedges. It's very beautiful here! They also have a very nice beach right on the river, a family lodge and an adult lodge, a huge jacuzzi / lap pool, shuffle board, basketball, volleyball, horseshoe pits, kayaks and a canoe, a playground and an adult fitness center. I feel as though I've hit the jackpot! This is certainly a great place to visit and stay!

There is so much to yet explore and do here at the Russian River...I haven't even scratched the tip of the iceburg. With 135 wineries, 114 farms that are open to the public, golf courses, hiking, biking, fantastic motorcycling, ballooning, horseback riding and water sports...I'll have to stay longer and come back next year!

If you're interested in finding out more about the Duncans Mills Camping Club, call my friend Chris to arrange a tour at 1-888-422-6736 and visit online at http://www.duncansmillscamp.com/ for more information.

Until next time!
Barb :-)

No comments: