Thursday, November 6, 2008

NorCal to SoCal...a big new adventure awaits!

I have a personal tradition. Before I leave a place where I’ve camped, I always burn a ceremonial bon voyage campfire. I’m burning one now as I write this. There’s a nip in the NorCal air…it’s November. The fire consisting of chunks of redwood is burning every hue of red, orange, white…and hot.

I’ve been at Duncan’s Mills Camping Club since the end of August and it’s been absolutely terrific! The atmosphere is laid back, the members who camp here are very friendly, staff and management are wonderful, welcoming people. I’ve settled into my routine here at DMCC, keeping an eye on the gate, making sure our guests are happy and content, answering phones, taking reservations, the usual camp host stuff. It’s been fun and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself.

But now it’s time to move on.

Yes, I’m melancholy as I leave the pristine coastline of NorCal and the Russian River behind. I’ve made lifelong friends while staying here these past 6 months. I’ll have long lasting cherished memories that will bring a smile when I reminisce.

At the end of September, I took a trip down to Palm Springs to check out RV resorts. Yes, that Palm Springs, the picturesque oasis nestled between the glitz and glamour of L.A. and the Colorado River aka the Arizona State line. The Palm Springs where the rich and famous frolic in the arid, scenic California desert. As I drove east on I-10 approaching my exit, the first thing I noticed were the giant windmills, slowly rotating in the wind, row after row, feeding the hungry desert valley with electricity.

I spent 4 grueling days pounding the pavement hitting every RV resort in the area until I found 2 Springs Resort located in North Palm Springs, brand new still in its Phase 1 building stage. Complete with a huge pool, tennis courts, pickle ball courts and the ever important practice putting green, I feel as though I’ve hit the jackpot. I even have a view of the San Jacinto Mountains from my front yard. Not bad! I’ll only be about 10 min. from downtown Palm Springs and golf courses are a-plenty!

I’ll be spending my winter months basking in the warmth of the winter sun, golfing, motorcycling, hiking, exploring and enjoying all the wonders the California desert has to offer.

I’ll be back to NorCal…but until then I look forward to all the promise which awaits me as I step into my new adventure!

I’ll be sure to keep you posted!

Barb :-)

No comments: